Re: gettext domain(s) and Bonobo

Hi Sergey & others,

On Wed, 5 Jan 2000, Sergey I. Panov wrote:
> > The whole problem is fixed by fixing gnome-ui-handler in bonobo to
> > translate before it sends the information to its container
> > application.
>  I just noticed that there are parts in gnome-ui-handler that not
> CORBA/Bonobo specific and that they can be moved into new gnome-libs.
> I also noticed that translation can be done within that part and, as a
> result, you will handle translations(and some other things) in one
> place --- libgnomeui. In fact, libgnomeui itself can become a bit
> cleaner this way.

	Argh, gnome-ui-handler is getting really, really bad. Also from
what I have seen gtk_toolbar's are not whatsoever designed to allow the
kind of dynamic removal / insertion that we are wanting to do. Come to
this neither is gnome-dock, and the whole thing gives me the heebie
jeebies which is perhaps why I've stopped fininshing it.

	My preferred solution is this ( for toolbars at least ).

	a) Create a public GnomeToolbarItem
	b) Finish gnome-dock and use GnomeToolbarItem's everwhere.
	c) Kill huge chunks of the ui-handler code.
	d) Let components embed their toolbars via controls ( which would
contain a few of the standard GnomeToolbarItems BTW ).

	Step d) solves the translation problem, the containee does its own
toolbar rendering and can put what it wants in there.

	This solves a scad of dynamism problems since the container
hierarchy can cope well with sub-widget removal. I suppose something
similar is neccessary for menus, but I get far less convinced there. This
would also kill many thousands of lines of code from the ui-handler I
hope.

	I can't believe the current method is the best. Furthermore the
code on which it relies appears not to have been designed with this sort
of abuse in mind.

	Also, I am rather appalled by the GnomeUIInfo structures that
float everywhere in the gnome-app stuff. Perhaps I horribly misunderstand
these, but it seems these are bad news for me; I can understand the need (
perhaps ) for structure initialization of menu trees for code simplicity,
but why are the internals not implemented with standard widget / container
GtkObjects ?

	Sorry to show such abject ignorance of everything all at once.

	Comments ?