Re: my nits

On Sat, Feb 12, 2000 at 11:27:01AM -0500, Nat Friedman wrote:

>  > * Bonobo::Desktop isn't obsoleted by nautilus?
>
>     bonobo-desktop was a cute hack by Miguel to make your window
> CORBA-controllable, so you could write a perl script and move the
> thing around and resize it and so forth.

yes, cute I guess, but it doesn't have much real-use value imho.

> My next commit will include
> some nice improvements to the UIHandler usability though, since I am
> at the point of getting daily complaints about that code.

I had some problems with that too :) So I created my own work-around:

   #define VDEUIINFO_END   {NULL, NULL, VDE_MENU_BEFORE, FALSE, GNOMEUIINFO_END}

   typedef enum {
      VDE_MENU_BEFORE,
      VDE_MENU_AFTER
   } VDEMenuPosition;

   typedef struct {
      gchar *parent_path;
      gchar *relative_to_sibling;
      VDEMenuPosition pos; /* put this item before or after its sibling */
      gboolean override; /* override an existing menuitem. mostly used for
                            submenus */
      GnomeUIInfo data;
   } VDEUIInfo;

along with some code to calculate the position of the items, this works
very nicely for me.

>  > * Bonobo::AdviseSink is going to be used at all? It doesn't seem needed
>  > so far, and the event service is probably a nicer solution anyway.
>
>     I don't know if we want to use the CORBA event service; it is
> somewhat complex (from what I remember reading a few months ago).

Yes, I guess the complete event service is kindof complicated. The
spec seems more complicated than it actually is though. I'm working with
a subset of it, and it seems to work pretty nice.

> I would like some kind of Bonobo proxy for GtkSignals though.

What exactly do you mean by this?

>  > * I still think it would be nice if you could get the BonoboObject
>  > pointer for an interface from another BonoboObject when they are
>  > _add_interface()ed together.
>     I agree; it's just a shame that it is so hard for us to use CORBA
> interfaces from C, or we would not care about this at all.  This
> should be a simple function; if you provide the code, maybe we can
> work it in soon.

I don't think it's an issue of CORBA interfaces being hard in C. CORBA
just doesn't understand aggregation. each interface is its own object
in bonobo. CORBA doesn't even know they are connected.

I'll try to write something up that does this.

Martijn

--
Martijn van Beers  <martijn@earthling.net>

'Don't worry if it sounds odd. Believe me, you are talking to
someone who has seen a lot of stuff that is odd. And I don't
mean biscuits.' --- Arthur Dent