Re: my nits

Nat Friedman <nat@helixcode.com> writes:

>  > * Bonobo::Desktop isn't obsoleted by nautilus?

[... snip ...]

>     So, no, Nautilus does not obsolete Bonobo::Desktop.   There is the
> question of whether or not Bonobo::Desktop works anymore, though; I
> can't find a test for it.

Maybe Bonobo::Desktop is a poor name then, since it sounds like it
would be an interface for controlling the desktop window and it's
associated icons, rather than an interface for controlling individual
windows. It is also likely to cause confusion with a future
similarly-named interface provided by Nautilus, which actually will be
an interface for controlling the desktop window.

>  > * Bonobo::AdviseSink is going to be used at all? It doesn't seem needed
>  > so far, and the event service is probably a nicer solution anyway.
>
>     I don't know if we want to use the CORBA event service; it is
> somewhat complex (from what I remember reading a few months ago).  I
> would like some kind of Bonobo proxy for GtkSignals though.  I don't
> think there's any real harm in leaving the AdviseSink in there.  At
> least it reminds us that we need a real solution to this problem.
> Especially given that controls currently have no way of emitting
> events to their containers, which leads to disgusting hacks like the
> "activate_uri" method which I have been loathe to leave in for so
> long.  So we do need a real mechanism for this kind of asynchronous
> component communication, and I think a signal/slot setup is the right
> way.

In Nautilus we have been adding interfaces that provide additional
methods on the container side to allow asynchronous singalling by the
component. At first I thought it was really gross and confusing, but
now I actually think it's a reasonable solution. Since it's
conventional to use GtkObject proxy classes anyway, it's simple to
turn those CORBA method calls into signal emissions.

>  > * I still think it would be nice if you could get the BonoboObject
>  > pointer for an interface from another BonoboObject when they are
>  > _add_interface()ed together.
>
>     I agree; it's just a shame that it is so hard for us to use CORBA
> interfaces from C, or we would not care about this at all.  This
> should be a simple function; if you provide the code, maybe we can
> work it in soon.

We're going to need this in Nautilus too, probably, because we plan to
use multiple interfaces pretty heavily. If Martijn doesn't feel like
implementing this, I can.

 - Maciej