Re: the GNORBA library

Hello Elliot,

> > But what is with the argument, that a different orbvendor may want to
> > access your repository ? Wouldn't it be a solution, to write the IOR of
> > the oafd at some certain place on the filesystem, where it can be
> > accessed by everyone ? Or you could offer a command line tool, that
> > prints the IOR to stdout (this would be a proxy, everyone could use) ?

> People need to use the OAF library, because there is functionality in the
> implementation that they are better off not trying to copy & keep in sync
> with. It is more than just a simple IDL wrapper...

> OAF is not tied to a specific ORB by design. The shared library
activation
> has to tie into ORBit a little bit, but this is only because there is no
> standard way of doing it.
I think, we agree on that the only thing that prevents someone from using
oaf over iiop only is that one does not have the IOR of it. So I think it
would be a good idea to have something in the system that allows to get
the IOR easily (not only for UNO, but also for other orb vendors). In my
eyes, a command line tool would be sufficient.

> I think you are barking up the wrong tree here - object activation
systems
> shouldn't really matter until you have CORBA bridging working.
Its just, that we want to reach a „new level of software developement“
=:o) : thinking before
implementing. We already know that it is possible to bridge between UNO
and CORBA, but we also know, that there certain problems we have to cope
with. Finding a solution (or at least a concept) for them before
implementing can avoid some iterative cycles during implementations.
So we are going to write down the concepts before implementing.

>I also
> thought SO was switching to CORBA rather than sticking with UNO, but I
> suppose that is beside the point.
You can see the bridge as a first step towards this.

However, my personal opinion is, that merging the core of both component
models in one process is not possible because of the technical
differences. A bridge allows a similiar level of integration and
preserves the advantages of both systems ( this does not reflect the
opinions of my bosses ).

Greetings, Joerg