Re: the GNORBA library

On Tue, 19 Dec 2000, Joerg Budischewski wrote:

> Hello Elliot,
>
> > > But what is with the argument, that a different orbvendor may want to
> > > access your repository ? Wouldn't it be a solution, to write the IOR of
> > > the oafd at some certain place on the filesystem, where it can be
> > > accessed by everyone ? Or you could offer a command line tool, that
> > > prints the IOR to stdout (this would be a proxy, everyone could use) ?
>
> > People need to use the OAF library, because there is functionality in the
> > implementation that they are better off not trying to copy & keep in sync
> > with. It is more than just a simple IDL wrapper...
>
> > OAF is not tied to a specific ORB by design. The shared library
> activation
> > has to tie into ORBit a little bit, but this is only because there is no
> > standard way of doing it.
> I think, we agree on that the only thing that prevents someone from using
> oaf over iiop only is that one does not have the IOR of it.

No, we don't agree. My first line was "People need to use the OAF
library." There's no reason that I know of why the OAF library cannot be
used directly, and good reasons to do so.

(This is a challenge to you to describe some use cases that illustrate the
problems that you are trying to solve. :)
-- Elliot