Re: the GNORBA library

On Fri, 15 Dec 2000, Joerg Budischewski wrote:

> But what is with the argument, that a different orbvendor may want to
> access your repository ? Wouldn't it be a solution, to write the IOR of
> the oafd at some certain place on the filesystem, where it can be
> accessed by everyone ? Or you could offer a command line tool, that
> prints the IOR to stdout (this would be a proxy, everyone could use) ?

People need to use the OAF library, because there is functionality in the
implementation that they are better off not trying to copy & keep in sync
with. It is more than just a simple IDL wrapper...

OAF is not tied to a specific ORB by design. The shared library activation
has to tie into ORBit a little bit, but this is only because there is no
standard way of doing it.

I think you are barking up the wrong tree here - object activation systems
shouldn't really matter until you have CORBA bridging working. I also
thought SO was switching to CORBA rather than sticking with UNO, but I
suppose that is beside the point.

-- Elliot
No new ideas for my .sig, and Alan told me my old one was an urban myth, so just
ignore this.