Re: Bonobo dependencies ...

Michael Meeks <michael helixcode com> writes:

>         Ok; here is the vision: we want to create an extensible, powerful,
> scriptable, object model environment. The creation of large C APIs is not
> viewed as a constructive step in this direction ( although the current
> gnome-vfs API is neccessary for Nautilus ). I don't see this direction as
> politicaly driven, and I happen to fully agree with it. Try suggesting to
> the guile, perl, python, haskel, tom, etc. etc. guys that they should go
> and wrap ~300+ new API functions + a load of structures.

Actually, this does sound political to me. You are saying you don't
want to depend on a library because it's API is C rather than
IDL. Because of the way it is currently implemented, not only do you
not want to encourage users to use it directly, but you won't even use
it in your own code where technically appropriate because it is
`evil' and must be `deprecated'.

Interestingly however, this logic applies only to gnome-vfs but not
to, e.g., gnome-print or gdk-pixbuf. I guess the functionality
provided by those doesn't need to be scriptable?

Or maybe you just wrapped their low-level functionality with a
higher-level IDL interface. I wonder if that could be done for
gnome-vfs. Oh wait - it already has been.

>         Big C APIs are a disaster area.

And yet you don't seem opposed to adding functions to libbonobo that
are usable only from the C API and not reflected in the IDL...

 - Maciej