Re: bonobo, gnome-vfs, and libefs

Hi Maciej,

On 24 Aug 2000, Maciej Stachowiak wrote:
> Right now, bonobo and gnome-vfs effectively have a circular dependency
> because gnome-vfs uses libefs and bonobo uses gnome-vfs. Yes, I know
> that technically libefs is a separate module. But when you make binary
> packages built in the normal way, bonobo will have to depend on the
> gnome-vfs package and vice versa.

	Dude; all these dependancies are optional, and there is no
particular need to compile the efs support into gnome-vfs; please simply
add --disable-efs=yes to the spec file for gnome-vfs. This is the easiest,
cleanest and most simple solution.

> 1) Make bonobo stop importing libefs through cvs magic; instead, make
>    it use and depend on the libefs module, which would be built and
>    installed separately.

	I'd prefer not to have to distribute libefs separately, also we
are discussing whether to continue libefs development or whether to switch
to libole2.

> 2) Move the efs gnome-vfs module into bonobo; gnome-vfs modules do not
>    need to be distributed with gnome-vfs to work, examples include the
>    search: module in medusa, and the help: module in nautilus.

	But wait; surely this then adds a gnome-vfs dependency to bonobo
that it currently does not have. I don't like the sound of that.

> 3) Remove the efs gnome-vfs module entirely.

	It doesn't need removing, just disable its building in your
package generation system.