Re: sodipodi ...

> On the other hand - model should not depend on initialized Gtk+, because
> initializing Gtk+ requires running X - but I'd like extremely, if as much
> program functionality as possible is present without X running. Sodipodi
> currently can print from console - I'd like to extend that to SVG->bitmap
> conversion ant other things.

Lauris, this is easy to fix, you can usually do:

	gtk_type_init ();

And that will not actually check for X, it will just init the type
system.   Also, GtkObject will become GObjectg and moved into Glib
for Gtk 1.4 (I assume an "easy to upgrade" path will exist).

> Currently I cannot say about program, started as bonobo component, which
> X display (the container's one or local) it uses for Gtk+ initializing.
> But theoretically bonobo component shouldn't also need local X running.

This is the case (and the objective for Bonobo).  Bonobo components
are not tied to X, nor do we plan to make them tied to X (only the X
parts of Bonobo would)

> Multiple views will also break current group hierarchy model - think
> about bonobo component embedded into another applications canvas (and into
> other applications whatever group), but at the same time edited in
> separate window, being in its own applications canvas and its group.
> I.e. object can be part of several trees with different topology.

I agree.

Miguel.