Re: sodipodi ...

On 18 Apr 2000, Miguel de Icaza wrote:

> > On the other hand - model should not depend on initialized Gtk+, because
> > initializing Gtk+ requires running X - but I'd like extremely, if as much
> > program functionality as possible is present without X running. Sodipodi
> > currently can print from console - I'd like to extend that to SVG->bitmap
> > conversion ant other things.
>
> Lauris, this is easy to fix, you can usually do:
>
> 	gtk_type_init ();
>
> And that will not actually check for X, it will just init the type
> system.   Also, GtkObject will become GObjectg and moved into Glib
> for Gtk 1.4 (I assume an "easy to upgrade" path will exist).

Little confusion - this is actually what I do - i.e. initializing
types derived form GtkObjects works well without X. The problem is that
you cannot create any GtkWidget without Gdk initialized (or can you?) and
Gdk without X initialized (or can you?). And Canvas is unfortunately
widget, so you cannot initialize canvas items without X (or can you?)

> > Currently I cannot say about program, started as bonobo component, which
> > X display (the container's one or local) it uses for Gtk+ initializing.
> > But theoretically bonobo component shouldn't also need local X running.
>
> This is the case (and the objective for Bonobo).  Bonobo components
> are not tied to X, nor do we plan to make them tied to X (only the X
> parts of Bonobo would)

But BonoboView is widget and BonoboCanvasItem belongs to canvas, which is
Widget. So you need to create widgets, which requires gtk being
initialized, not only gtk type system. And initializing gtk requires
running X somewhere.
My main point was, that it should be sufficent, if X runs in machine where
container is located and does not have to run on machine, where containee
is running.

Lauris