Re: Sodipodi can be seen from Gnumeric!

> Exporting GUI actually IS problem, as usually graphic editors have much
> more toolbars than text/data applications (colors, patterns etc.) and I
> personally dislike the idea of viewport resizing every time different
> component is activated. Maybe the problem is, that with MSOffice97 (the
> last version I used) this never worked well...

yes.  probably.

We can figure something out.

> Question: how stable/unstable generally embedding BonoboCanvasItem into
> gnumeric is? As I said, half times crashes gnumeric, half time sodipodi,
> the affecting function being usually somewhere in bonobo. If the crasher
> is sodipodi, gnumeric usually end up with infinite loop, generating error
> messages:
>
> Bonobo-CRITICAL **: file bonobo-object.c: line 155
> (bonobo_object_destroy): assertion `BONOBO_IS_OBJECT (object)' failed.
>
> Gtk-WARNING **: invalid cast from (NULL) pointer to `BonoboCanvasItem'
>
> Gtk-WARNING **: invalid cast from (NULL) pointer to `BonoboObject'
>
> If the BonoboCanvasItem is known to not work ;-( I'll better try to
> implement BonoboView The Right Way. Otherwise - shaped component seems
> much more interesting. (I am too busy/imaptient at moment, to start
> learning/debugging bonobo internals)

The BonoboCanvasItem works, but it needs some refinement.

For example, currently there is no way of "activating" the component
(I mean, you can receive events, but we really want to "notify" the
component that it should activate itself).

Activating in this context means "Merge your toolbar and menubars,
make the GUI look like you are editable, etc".

Fixing Gnumeric to support it better is a good thing, but there were
not that many applications using it to make it worth debugging/fixing
in the past.  Now there is.

Something that I think you could help me figure out is a way of
correctly using the items: how should items be resized and
manipulated?

Should the item provide all this functionality?  Should the container
do it?  Should we pass an affine array to specify what we want from
the child?

Miguel.