Re: Sodipodi can be seen from Gnumeric!

On 14 Apr 2000, Miguel de Icaza wrote:

> > As extra bonus you can see full-alpha images on top of spreadsheet...
>
> I am drooling.  How can I get this working?

Last CVS version of sodipodi should create and install (it does on my RH
6.2 with mixed-messed Gnome) both BonoboView and BonoboCanvasItem
components. Bonobo is enabled by default, like in gnumeric...
Both are very preliminary:
- View has silly borders
- Does not update active desktop (the one getting editing messages)
- Does not export GUI
Exporting GUI actually IS problem, as usually graphic editors have much
more toolbars than text/data applications (colors, patterns etc.) and I
personally dislike the idea of viewport resizing every time different
component is activated. Maybe the problem is, that with MSOffice97 (the
last version I used) this never worked well...
- BonoboCanvasItem does not do anything interesting aside showing itself
on top of the spreadsheet. Screenshot is at
http://sodipodi.sourceforge.net/screenshot-gnumeric.jpg

Question: how stable/unstable generally embedding BonoboCanvasItem into
gnumeric is? As I said, half times crashes gnumeric, half time sodipodi,
the affecting function being usually somewhere in bonobo. If the crasher
is sodipodi, gnumeric usually end up with infinite loop, generating error
messages:

Bonobo-CRITICAL **: file bonobo-object.c: line 155
(bonobo_object_destroy): assertion `BONOBO_IS_OBJECT (object)' failed.

Gtk-WARNING **: invalid cast from (NULL) pointer to `BonoboCanvasItem'

Gtk-WARNING **: invalid cast from (NULL) pointer to `BonoboObject'

If the BonoboCanvasItem is known to not work ;-( I'll better try to
implement BonoboView The Right Way. Otherwise - shaped component seems
much more interesting. (I am too busy/imaptient at moment, to start
learning/debugging bonobo internals)

Have a nice day,
Lauris