GOAD ID size restriction?

Hello guys,

   Part of the persistence interfaces in Bonobo to load/store objects
into a stream/store store the GOAD-ID of the server being saved/loaded
on.

   Currently, the approach I have followed is to write the lenght of
the GOAD-ID string as a 32-bit integer number, followed by the
GOAD-ID.

   This is nicely wrapped in routines.  During loading, this means
that the code first needs to read 4 bytes to figure out the length of
the GOAD-ID to load form the stream.  And then it does the actual
reading.

   If we limit the size of the GOAD_ID string to say, a usable value,
say 64 characters, I could always store the GOAD_ID as a single
64-byte chunk.  And load would only take 1 rpc call as I would load a
64-byte chunk.

   This is handled in COM just fine, as their equivalent to the
GOAD-IDs are always 64-bit numbers.

   So, what do we want?  Unlimited size on the GOAD-IDs or fixed size,
but with less round trips to the Stream server?

Best wishes,
Miguel.