Re: ORBit (was Re: * mico)

Elliot Lee wrote:

> We can reuse some code from existing projects - for example, the IDL
> compiler can be the standard OMG one with a plugin backend for our ORB.
> The Interface Repository used can be the one in mico.
>
> >From scratch, we would need to implement:
>         The basic ORB itself
>                 (de)marshalling of all the types
>                 The core ORB functions
>                 IIOP
>         The backend for the IDL compiler
>         The BOA
>                 Shared library, persistent, and dynamic activation

I've actually been thinking about it the doing the same thing for the
past couple of days.  I only had a few added requirements:
multithreaded and java language bindings.  I would also like to see an
Event Service modeled after the RT Event Service available w/ the TAO
ORB or maybe an implementation of the Notification Service which is
still in the RFP stage at the OMG.

> However, if anyone else has time now, *please* feel free to have a go at
> it ;_)

Alas, time is a contraint for me too.  I would like to help out though
if I can find some time.

jason

--
Jason Gilbert | http://www.scott.net/~jason/ | http://www.mantissa.com/

"The total job will be in the software, and we'll be able to write big
fat programs. We can let them run somewhat inefficiently because there
will be so much horsepower that just sits there. The real focus won't
be who can cram it down in, or who can do it in machine language. It
will be on who can define the right user interface and properly
integrate the main packages." -- Bill Gates, PC Magazine 1982