Re: ORBit (was Re: * mico)

On Thu, 19 Feb 1998, Jason Gilbert wrote:

> I only had a few added requirements:
> multithreaded

Why? We can do it without threads, and threads are not very portable in
the grand scheme of things. Threaded programming also adds a whole new
level of complexity, and I'd like to make as simple an ORB as possible,
not a complex one ;-)

(Simple means easy-to-read code & a straightforward design, not "lacking
in features").

> and java language bindings.

We will try to make it easy to do bindings for any language, but I must
point out that there are some good Java ORB's out there already (IIRC,
http://www.linas.org/linux/corba.html had a list).

> I would also like to see an Event Service modeled after the RT Event
> Service available w/ the TAO ORB or maybe an implementation of the
> Notification Service which is still in the RFP stage at the OMG.

This can be an add-on. I do *not* relish the though of yet another big &
bloated program ;-) Making it easy to put add-ons into the thing (perhaps
the way glibc does) would be a definite goal.

MHO,
-- Elliot					http://www.redhat.com/
"The obvious mathematical breakthrough would be development of an easy way
to factor large prime numbers." -- Bill Gates from "The Road Ahead," p. 265.