Re: Switching monitor color profile

Hi,

Am 07.12.2011 19:01, schrieb Filipp:
Sorry for the second mail.
I just tried to use the icc generated by the mac and it worked! (attached)

ICC profiles are platform-independent. So, they can be used under different OS with identical results (in the case of display profiles, the hardware needs to stay the same of course).

Now the question is why linux created a different one? even TRC curves
are different.

I looked at the Apple profile, and I doubt that Mac OS X only used EDID info when it created the profile. It contains a detailed 'vcgt' (video card gamma table) - this is what gnome color settings dubs 'display correction' - that looks like it was generated from real measurements (unlike a Mac OS X auto-generated profile for my NEC screen, which simply has a linear vcgt). I assume Apple uses some tricks here for their own hardware.

The TRC curves are identical to the sRGB TRC (which seems to be true for all Mac OS X auto-generated display profiles I've inspected so far).

And why do linux need a color profile which can not be used for color
correction at all? :)

It can be used for color correction. Remember you do need a color-managed application to use the profile. But it contains no 'vcgt', so you won't see any changes in non-colormanged applications. [ Btw, a vcgt alone is insufficient for full color correction as it can only affect the color temperature and TRC; in fact vcgt is not even strictly necessary but has some advantages. If a profile contains a vcgt, it needs to be used together with the profile to obtain correct results. ]

Florian