Re: Required hardware and user feedback

2010/9/27 Jean-Michel Pouré - GOOZE <jmpoure gooze eu>:
> * Screen : I was able to configure screen using ColorMunki. I don't know
> which version of ColorMunki this is, either print or photographer.

I don't think it matters, I think they are the same hardware with
different software.

> 1) In general, in order to calibrate a printer, do we need a special
> hardware, other than a screen spectographer like the ColorMunki or the
> ColorSpider3?

I think you can old use the ColorMunki as this is the only one that's
a photospectromiter rather than a colorimeter. This means it has it's
own light source, and can read colors that are not light emitting. I
don't think the spider3 can do that.

> 2) I would like GCM to be able to print proofs that I can ship to people
> able to calibrate my printer. Basically, I borrowed the ColorMunki from
> a Friend and now I gave it back. But I still need to print ... So I
> would like to send him the print proofs and/or visit him with my laptop.
> This does not seem possible at the moment. GCM refuses to print proofs
> unless the spider is connected.

That should be possible, click the printer, and then click calibrate
and "create prints for printshop" or something like that.

> 3) Last but not least, because I don't have the spider any longer, I
> would appreciate a low grade feature to be able to calibrate the printer
> using the scanner.

I don't know how to do that.

> 4) I would appreciate to print the proofs also in the center of a page.
> Actually, the line A is a little bit more messy than line L. It is a
> usual case with drums on laser printer. I would prefer full center.

We just ask argyll to produce us a png file, which we format on a page
using cairo and print. We probably need to do a better job of
centering it -- the code is in src/gcm-print.c line 159 -- I don't
have a lotof time this week, so if you could find the problem I would
appreciate it.

> 5) I would appreciate to be able to print a lot of colors in a single
> page, several times, to wipe the printer before calibration.

How do you mean "wipe"?

> 6) I noticed an error when fetching information from CUPS printers. I
> have two CUPS servers and I read their queue line from my laptop. My
> color printer had some information from my Dymo label printer. Not very
> problematic, but it may be a small and stupid bug.

I've got no idea why that's happening. Could you please get me the
gcm-prefs --verbose log for this please. Thanks.

Richard.