Re: Deleted screen never reappears in GCM device panel

On 18 October 2010 21:11, Vivien Perez <vivien perez gmail com> wrote:
> you were right: using the free driver solves the problem! The screen is now
> detected and color managed automatically.

Cool, thanks for testing.

> Any idea who should I report this bug to? The fglrx guys?

Yup, and if they have one, their "XOrg DDX" section.

> Could you also provide me with details about the way gcm accesses the edid,
> since get-edid/parse-edid does not seem to be affected by this problem?

get-edid does low level requests to the graphics hardware. GCM, like
the display capplet just reads the X output property "EDID" (and
EDID_DATA for some broken drivers) which is supposed to be a cached
copy (by the display driver) to avoid hitting the hardware every time,
which is very slow.

It's likely the fglrx are not doing the EDID block copy correctly,
given that there is only the first 128 byte block present.

Richard.