Re: GNOME Color Manager 2.31.1 - suggested improvements for screen cal/profiling

Am 07.05.2010 17:48, schrieb Pascal de Bruijn:
On Fri, May 7, 2010 at 3:33 PM, Florian Höch<lists hoech net>  wrote:
(correction: this should've been targen -d3 -e4 -g9 -m3 -f0)

Am 07.05.2010 15:13, schrieb Florian Höch:

targen -d3 -e4 -g9 -m3

I do agree 500 patches is a bit overkill... But the time it takes to
measure a few extra patch is usually not that much, so I don't really
see the point of measuring as few as possible patches...

Well, for 'shaper+matrix' profiles, when a certain amount of patches is reached, it doesn't seem to increase the accuracy of the curves perceptibly (atleast in my experience).

Is there any particularly reason why you're using -m3 instead of -f3?
I think we need to trust Graeme a bit on the defaults...

Yes, agreed (actually I didn't know those were Graeme's defaults). And the default optimized farthest point sampling is working really great for LUT-type profiles and subtractive devices like printers. But I always found that when using additive devices like screens, shaper+matrix, and decreasing the number of patches, the simpler device grid spacing seemed to work as good (also note that -f3 will only add three ofps patches, while -m3 will generate 27 device grid patches). My own testing showed negligible difference in the resulting tone curves when comparing -f500 and -g9 -m3 -f0 (see attached, and ignore the jumping dot, thats just the point I was hovering when taking the screenshots). You could always increase the amount of grayscale patches for a 'single shaper+matrix' profile if increased curve accuracy is desired, but I would go as far as saying this is probably not even neccesary in most cases. Of course, YMMV. I can only talk about the few screens I've available, which is two cheap TN (one in a laptop), a PVA and an IPS panel, and some screens of other people I've tested so far (mostly PVA, some IPS).

Regards,
Pascal de Bruijn