Re: GNOME Color Manager 2.31.1 - suggested improvements for screen cal/profiling

Hi,

recently I switched from the proprietary nvidia driver to noveau, so I could try the latest GCM :)

I noticed that for screen calibration, always a quality of 'low' is used and a shaper+matrix profile is created from varying colorpatch amounts and quality parameter.

Looking at the code, the 100-500 colorpatches used for the screen profiling really seem overkill for a simple matrix profile. So the first thing I'd suggest, is to always use a lower, fixed-amount colorpatch set: targen -d3 -e4 -g9 -m3, this yields 36 patches that most other profilers out there also seem to use and should give very good results with matrix profiles (of course YMMV, but imho it would be a good default. This is what I use in dispcalGUI atm). Then, I'd suggest colprof -qh for matrix profiles (lower quality levels will smooth the trc curves more, but I think high quality could model the device response more accurately). This shouldn't come at any speed penalty at the new low suggested colorpatch count. And, as GCM always does a calibration+profile, I'd use colprof -aS (single shaper+matrix) instead of -as (per channel shaper+matrix), as we can rely on the calibration already having established gray balance, thus no need to risk the per channel curves introducing banding or shimmering.

These changes would remove the need for the current three profile 'precision' choices for screen calibration/profiling, so the last suggestion from me is to instead present the user with a choice for the calibration (dispcal) quality instead, or to get rid of the choice altogether (only for screen calibration/profiling ofcourse).

What do you think?