Profiling an Epson R2880

I've been trying to get decent color out of my Epson R2880 when
printing with a specific paper. I'm using Gutenprint and the developer
has told me the only real solution is to profile the printer. I was
looking at this:

http://blogs.gnome.org/hughsie/2009/12/16/advances-of-freedom/

and wondering how close we are from being able to use one of these
targets to profile a normal scanner and then print out the same target
with the printer and profile the printer.

The only added complexity I have here is that I don't own a scanner
myself and would use one at the university, attached to a windows
computer. So I would have to be able to color correct based on a
finished JPEG/TIFF image, not at the moment of the scan.

Cheers,

Pedro