Re: gcalctool now less useful

Hi Robert,

On Thu, 2010-04-08 at 12:08 +1000, Robert Ancell wrote:
- Could you run through an example of the sort of calculation you are
doing?

Often in my line of work I have an ADC input on some micro and the value
I get is in hex, or I'm looking at a protocol message like Modbus for
example, and the values stored in the message are in hex.

The first thing I need to do is convert from hex to decimal.  Secondly,
the values are often unscaled raw ADC values, so I need to apply some
scaling, which invariably involves a constant like PI, or the need for
some scientific function.

So to have the ability to enter numbers in bin, oct, dec or hex in
scientific mode would be most handy.

Maybe there should be an engineering "mega" mode that combines the
programming and scientific functions?

- Are you using the mouse or keyboard to control gcalctool?  (note that
the keyboard shortcuts work in all modes).

Mostly I use the keyboard for entering numbers, and the mouse to select
other controls.

The GCalctool interface is currently being redesigned and your feedback
would be very good.
- If you are familiar with git and GNOME please try the latest version.
- I will be providing packages of the latest versions for feedback.  You
can find more information by following my blog (syndicated on Planet
Ubuntu and Planet GNOME):
http://bobthegnome.blogspot.com/

Thanks.  I'll take a look when I get time.

Cheers,
James.