Re: Patch status for a non-developer

On Tue, 2008-07-29 at 22:10 -0500, Diego Escalante Urrelo wrote:
> Hey
>
> On 7/29/08, Andrew Conkling <andrew conkling gmail com> wrote:
> > I'm trying to coordinate with the developers of Banshee, but I suppose this
> > is a good general question:
> >
> > For a non-developer (like me) interested in contributing to bugs and the
> > inevitable patches, is there a status I can slap on a patch to say, "I've
> > checked this out and, at the very least, it does what it says it does [but I
> > can't speak to its elegance, style, or other code-specific things]"?
> >
> > Any advice would be most appreciated; reviewing patches is, at least for
> > Banshee, a common bottleneck and can be frustrating for developers and
> > contributors.
> >

> Supposedly this is one of the reasons for the PatchSquad[0], there's a
> mailing list[1] (still with 0 mails) and a wiki.
>
> I've been doing something similar for GTK+[2]. Rob Bradford and I were
> supposed to bootstrap it in GUADEC but didn't have the time to chat
> about it.
> Right now I can comment you based on my experience with the GTK+
> patches that the hard work is only getting developers to review the
> patches. I can advice you the following concretely:
>  - Do a list of patches, mostly simple fixes
>  - Group those patches like: small, ready to commit, decision needed, etc.
>  - Try with small patches first so the patch queue flush is more evident.
>
> Now, it's a good time to do a call for arms :). Is anyone else
> interested in starting the patchsquad for real? I mean, start to maybe
> do IRC meetings and cleaning modules, etc.
> A good first task would be to pick modules from the module list in the
> wiki (mostly Vincent modules) and try -say- 5 patches and get together
> in IRC to try to come up with a common workflow and format to present
> our work.

Diego said most of the important things that will be on patchsquad soon.
We are going to do final draft of the things that will need to go for
the final stage to patchsquad to become a team like patchsquad. This is
really a team that needs to happen to improve patches to Gnome go on. Me
like Diego, Rob, Lucas, Ken and more people like to give this project
some wings. Stay on.