Re: Rewriting the GettingTraces page

hej elijah,
hej gnome-lovers,

Am Dienstag, den 17.10.2006, 17:58 -0600 schrieb Elijah Newren:
> Feedback welcome.

yay, looks goood, thanks a lot for your efforts!

some remarks regarding http://live.gnome.org/GettingTraces :

we do not only link to this page when we ask people for a better
stacktrace, but also when a stacktrace is entirely missing
(need_stacktrace).
however, i wouldn't change the second sentence on the wiki page, as i
hope that it encourages people to provide a good stacktrace.

"You need to install packages with debugging information for the program
that crashed plus its major dependencies. Installing debug packages for
major libraries like glib, gtk+, and gnome-vfs is also a good idea (note
that distros often rename these to e.g. glib2, gtk2, and gnome-vfs2 to
allow parallel installation with GNOME 1.x libraries)."

this hopefully could become a little bit less techie. i'd like to get
that "debugging symbols" term in that we also use in bugzilla's stock
*additional* packages - no reinstalling needed (well, if you were a
windows user before, this information could be important ;-).
perhaps something like this?:

"You need to install additional debug packages to get the requested
so-called "debugging symbols" for the program that crashed. Most likely
you also need to install debug packages for some of the program's major
dependencies.
Installing debug packages for GNOME's major libraries like glib, gtk+,
and gnome-vfs is also a good idea (note that distros often rename these
to e.g. glib2, gtk2, and gnome-vfs2 to allow parallel installation with
GNOME 1.x libraries), because most of the GNOME programs depend on those
major libraries and make use of their functionality."

"You can then cut-and-paste it from bug-buddy into your bug report."

we always have and had a "Copy" button in the left bottom corner, right?
whatever "cut-and-paste" means, let's make it easy and say

"You can then click on Bug-Buddy's "Copy" button and after that, you can
paste the information into your bug report."

cheers,
andre

--
 mailto:ak-47 gmx net | failed!