Re: perhaps something to think about for bug-buddy.NEXT

On 8/27/06, Luis Villa <luis tieguy org> wrote:
http://www.whirlycott.com/phil/2006/08/27/send-to-apple-and-get-nothing-back/

"When applications crash on OS X, you get a little dialog box asking
you if you would like to send the crash details to Apple. Presumably,
they actually use this data to continuously improve their products by
providing ~realtime bug reports to their dev teams.

What would be really useful, though, is if Apple would respond to me
via email telling me if there's something that I can do to prevent
these crashes from occurring, such as applying an update, changing
some setting somewhere, etc.

As you can imagine, this would be pretty useful. But since this
interaction resembles something like to an actual conversation, I am
not optimistic that it will happen soon."

Interesting idea. Not sure how often that would happen, so how often
it would be useful, but might be cool.

Sounds similar to what Olav has mentioned a few times.  He wants to do
automatic checking for certain special bugs (e.g. 94625) based on
stacktraces supplied by maintainers, and then not creating new bug
reports when we already have more than enough.  I think he mentioned
providing a simple note like "this has already been reported in bug
94625, you can follow the discussion there" but it shouldn't be much
harder to provide a longer message like "You have been hit by a bug
affecting vertical panels in Red Hat 8.  You can fix this by
installing updates from Red Hat, upgrading to something newer than Red
Hat 8, or by simply making your panel horizontal."