Re: bugzilla: is "Version: cvs" useful? What about Version/GNOME Version?

On Tue, 26 Jul 2005 21:18:02 +0200, Sebastien Bacher <seb128 debian org> wrote:

What is the interest of this granularity? At the moment I use nautilus
2.11.90, I'll open a bug a bug as 2.11.x, somebody using 2.11.0 will use
the same version. You don't have a difference between these 2 versions,
but you want to differenciate 2.9.90 from the cvs? Usually people also
use the comment to specify is they use a jhbuild, a distro, what
version, ...
correct, some/many people add their full version strings in the first place.
Additionally, maintainers often ask for the exact version number and
ask to test with cvs or a newer version, especially if it comes to libraries.

Would it really be that much hassle to update the available version tags?
I imagine we better do not pollute the versin field dropdown box with every
version from the past, but why not have the tags for the both the most recent
stable and development branch available and putting older reports all under
e.g. 2.8.x ?

I must admit I am not that comfortable with removing the cvs tag. there could
be problems that arised between the latest dev release and the current cvs.

by doing a query on "cvs"? You will get GNOME 1 bugs as well as GNOME
2.11 bugs.
Not if you limit the bug creation time to a specific time span. :)
curious ... are there really that many old reports tagged cvs?

I did a search.
time span: 1.1.2000 -> 1.1.2002
all non-resolved bugs, any cvs tag
==> 124 bugs. for two years. well. few.

1.1.2002 -> 1.1.2004
==> 554 reports

1.1.2004 -> 1.1.2005
==> 779 reports. a lot. no big surprise.

Hmm, given the number of tens of thousans reports in our database, 680 reports for a span
of 4 years is not that many. still more then i expected.

--
Christian Kirbach <Christian Kirbach student uni-siegen de>