Re: keyword cleanup

On Mon, 03 Jan 2005 15:14:48 +0000, Andrew Sobala <aes gnome org> wrote:
> On Sun, 2005-01-02 at 13:00 -0500, Luis Villa wrote:
> > > The only objection I can think of to this would be that sometimes
> > > someone submits an entirely new file (documentation or an entirely new
> > > source code file or whatever), and thus technically it isn't a "patch"
> > > (yeah, I know people *can* submit new files as part of a patch, but
> > > some discourage this) and thus appear to fall outside the current
> > > mechanisms.  Not that this is a good objection (it's a rare use case,
> > > so I don't think these keywords would be used in searches and thus
> > > would be useless), but it might be worthwhile to somehow indicate to
> > > people that anything that is being considered for committing can be
> > > marked as a patch whether or not it technically really is.
> >
> > Hrm. Is there no better way we can handle that?
>
> Tell them they need to create a patch for new files would be my
> reaction ;)

No, some maintainers don't like this and specifically request that
this isn't done.  My reaction would be to tell them to mark new files
proposed for commiting as a patch, even if it isn't a patch.  Or,
better yet, to to add or change some wording somewhere so that people
automatically do this (something like "Is this being proposed to be
committed?" for the checkbox instead of "patch")

> > > Others to add to your list:
> > > * bugbuddy: We are keeping up on this so poorly as to become less than
> > > useless.  Most of the bugs that appear in bug-buddy are no longer
> > > being duplicated at all, and most of the bugs that are being
> > > duplicated aren't appearing.  We should replace this with the output
> > > of something like
> > > http://bugzilla.gnome.org/reports/recent-mostfrequent.cgi; then the
> > > list is automatically updated for us.
> >
> > Agreed. Fer, do you recall how bug-buddy is using that list? How
> > easy/hard would it be to create a form of recent-mostfrequent that
> > worked?
>
>/usr/local/www/bugzilla/bugzilla/bugzilla.gnome.org/cronjobs/create-mostfreq-xml.pl
>
> Should be really easy to integrate with recent-mostfrequent.cgi, just needs
> someone to do the work.

Yeah, doesn't look too tough.  Since I brought it up in the first
place, I can look into it.

Elijah