Re: Subject: Re: Stock response addition

On Tue, 23 Nov 2004 21:24:26 +0100, Fernando Herrera
<fherrera onirica com> wrote:
> El mar, 23-11-2004 a las 12:12 -0700, Elijah Newren escribió:

>         One thing we can "easily" do is to check if the binary crahsing and
> related libs are compiled/installed with debug symbols. If no we can do
> some stuff:
>         A) Just warn the user that that info would not be very helpful

I dislike this one...see below.

>         b) Warn the user about that and if he is running a distro with know
> -debuginfo packages, suggest to install them
>                 b.1) If we had a gnome-system-packages, use it to intall it :).
> Volunteers?

This could be useful, but probably not at the expense of the current
bug report.  Again, see below.

>         c) Accept the bug report if it comes from a known vendor (Red Hat,
> SuSE, etc... so they are standard packages) and do the backtracing
> offline on an special server donated by ... volunteers?

What do you mean by "do the backtracing"?

> > > I realise usability bugs have issues, such as being ver difficult to
> > > demonstrate a solution. But I guess there's a metric here in how many
> > > non-useful bug-buddy generated reports are bein recieved vs useful
> > > bug-buddy generated reports.
>
>         For me having tons of dups of the same bug without an useful backtrace
> is a good metric in the sense of "man, gconf-editor is crashing every
> time on FC2test3, what's the hell?"

Agreed--in fact this reminds of something.  Sometimes there's bugs
like 107741 which only have useless stack traces, but for which no one
would have bothered to try to track anything down until we got lots of
duplicates for it.  I know I would have just shrugged it off even when
it happened to me except for the fact that I had been marking so many
duplicates myself.  Half an hour of repeating simple short steps in an
attempt to reproduce before getting a problem to actually finally
trigger again just isn't worth it unless I *know* that lots of people
are getting hit by the problem.