Re: xml-rpc

On Fri, 2004-07-09 at 19:58, Kalle Vahlman wrote:
> Luis Villa wrote:
> > Well, right, but... the reality is we have quite harvestable pages
> > already. Given the large number of emails available in open bugzillae
> > around the world (b.g.o and b.m.o alone are probably 100K email
> > addresses) I'd be shocked if these addresses aren't all already
> > harvested. :/
>
> I'd be shocked if any of the 100K addresses were *not* targeted
> by spammers even without the bugzilla appearence.
>
> Spam is not stoppable with todays home system security (and thanks go
> to where everyone knows), it can only be filtered out.
>
> Considering all these points, I don't see a reason to be overly paranoid
> with distributing email addresses on the net. My address has been
> thrown all over the net since '98, and my mailbox consists from three
> different mail addresses. I get somewhere around 10-50 spam messages
> a day. It's a non-issue since I use thunderbird (and have a broadband
> connection).

I agree entirely; if people care enough then address obfuscation might
be useful, but if you're putting your e-mail address on b.g.o it's going
to be harvested regardless.

We're going to have XML-RPC eventually because I think it's in bugzilla
2.18. It's also part of the bug-buddy plan. This is an attempt at
letting bug-buddy go forward without depending on a complete 2.18
upgrade.

--
Andrew