Re: Documentation bugs

On Thu, 2003-02-13 at 19:22, John Fleck wrote:
> On Thu, 2003-02-13 at 11:57, Andrew Sobala wrote:
> > Bugs about documentation get filed in bugzilla (by users). In
> > control-center, they get put in the "docs" component - which isn't
> > terribly useful, since the doc team doesn't (AFAICT) look at it.
> >
> > Would a documentation product be worth it? Has this idea been thrashed
> > to death in the past? To a certain extent, even if not terribly useful
> > to the doc team, it might be nice to have it so we can clear
> > documentation bugs into it (since most maintainers can't do anything
> > about doc bugs anyway).
>
> I think it's best leaving them where they are, with individual apps. The
> app maintainer should be doing the necessary cc'ing and flogging to make
> sure the appropriate doc writer is aware of the bug. If there isn't
> communication between maintainer and docs person we have bigger
> problems.

This isn't about cases where the maintainer needs to tell the doc team
about changes to the program; it's not about cases where a bug merely
_affects_ documentation.

It's about when a bug with the documentation is reported. It's not up to
the maintainer to then start punting bugs around bugzilla: one good
reason is the bugsquad sees them first and adding another person that
they have to go through is a waste of resources. However, there are no
guidelines about what to do with doc bugs: who to Cc/assign to, etc.

Also, a doc bug is by definition "sev=Minor,pri=Normal" at best. It
normally doesn't affect the software enough to be triaged above that.
This means busy maintainers won't see them for a bit, since they may
only be looking at sev=Normal/Major, or pri=High bugs.

--
Andrew Sobala <aes gnome org>