Re: help!

John Fleck <jfleck inkstain net> writes:

> OK, help me understand what I'm asking here. I want people to tell if it
> was compiled with libzvt or vte. How can they tell? (How do I tell which
> mine was compiled with?)

You might ask for the output of this command:
  ldd prefix/bin/gnome-terminal | grep -E 'vte|zvt|Xft'

That will also say if they are using Xft and Xft1 vs. Xft2.

(If you built from CVS and did nothing special, it is libzvt. The only
vte releases are Red Hat Linux beta and some Ximian snapshots.)

The main time vte vs. zvt is relevant is for a terminal emulation bug
where we want to know which one to reassign to.

Some known issues fixed with vte but not with zvt:
 - with zvt, font selector is really broken
 - with zvt, you can't enter or properly display European or Asian
   text
 - with zvt, there are a lot more terminal emulation bugs
 - with zvt, there's display flicker and other redraw issues

vte also had several issues that are supposed to be fixed in latest:
 - memory leaks
 - terminal emulation horkage
 - crashes

Thanks again...