Re: Triaging ui-review, HIG, usability keywords

On Sat, 2002-11-23 at 19:56, David Kennedy wrote:
> Some of these questions relate to the thread Ben started, but I'm not
> sure how to interpret what was said there. Some concrete examples might
> help the discussion.
>

> I've come across a few reports regarding HIG violations - dialogs which
> aren't instant apply, things like that. Should their severity be
> adjusted acording to how big a violation, and how prominent the program
> is?

It should really be how much of a problem it is with the application,
rather than problem with obeying the HIG. Most usability bugs would be
minor/trivial. The HIG is a set of guidelines, not rules, and severity
is a measure of how big the usability problem is with the application.

> Some usability bugs are more discussion forums than actual bugs, 94112
> is an example. I assume those should be left alone? Some, like 97887,
> seem to me to be enhancement requests, while others, like 94618, 97600
> and 95007 I have no idea how to triage.

Bugzilla's just stopped responding so I can't look at them right now :/

> And how often should the usability keyword be used? It seems like any
> feature request is going to have a usability keyword.

No. The usability keyword is for usability bugs - not "things I would
like most in this program" - which in turn are not normally feature
requests/enhancements.

> And any bug with
> HIG, keynav or accessibility could have usability as well.

Yes, maybe they should always :)

--
Andrew