Re: Bug 99648

Sorry about the delay in my response; life has been a bit hectic lately.
I definitely do want people to post this kind of question to bugsquad,
so I'm very sorry I haven't been active in responding and encouraging
your behavior, Elijah.

On Mon, 2002-12-02 at 14:36, Elijah P Newren wrote:
> Ben Hill filed bug 99648.  I resolved it as a duplicate of 65109.  He has
> since filed more comments and asked a few questions.  He seems helpful
> and is quite quick to respond.  I don't think I have a complete answer,
> and was hoping some of you could take a look--both to make sure I marked
> everything correctly and answer any possibly unanswered or not completely
> answered questions.  Most of the information is in the actual report in
> bug 99648.

Read them.

> Also, note that bug 65109 (the bug which 99648 was marked as a
> duplicate of) has the OS marked as Solaris.  Yet I'm guessing that
> most of the duplicates are from Linux and at least one specifically
> was FreeBSD.

It should be updated to 'all'. Note that in many cases OS is not a field
that maintainers actively update, so it is best to go with what you see
in the duplicates instead of what you see in the OS field. This is
particularly true if the filer is from sun.com, since they are usually
fairly religious about setting OS, which will tend to suggest things are
always Solaris-related when that is not always the case.

> There are probably other things that need updating in
> 65109 (such as version number) as well,

It appears that this is specific to older pango- newer pango needs a
different file, which suggests that if the version is updated (it may
need to be, I haven't read all the dups) the bug subject should be
changed as well.

>  but since I feel I don't understand the fonts issues and/or pango, I
>  thought this might be a job for someone else.  (Or maybe for someone
>  else to tell me what else needs to be done and why?)

I'd suggest that (based on Alex L.'s comment) this is effectively
WONTFIXed by the maintainers, and should be marked as such. Personally,
this bugs me- I may send some email later today about the 'it is the
distro's problem', as I believe we should make it as easy as possible to
compile a working system more or less from scratch. But that's a larger
issue than this specific bug.