Re: New Osinfo logo repository

Hi

On Mon, Feb 26, 2018 at 4:24 PM, Felipe Borges <felipeborges gnome org> wrote:
Hi all,

The recently introduced "Download an OS" feature gives a nice
spotlight to operating systems and therefore having a nice logo in
there makes it even more pleasant.

In order to better manage the logos database I set up a git
repository[0] where we can store the SVG files alongside with their
permission notes.

I will try to keep a policy of updating the README.logos file in
gnome-boxes with the new permission notes and also paste these notes
in the commit message which introduces the logo in the logos
repository.

I can't ever thank Zeeshan Ali enough for his work in Boxes, and among
all things, for setting up the old logo download infrastructure.

My hopes is that we can now publicly discuss these issues better in
GitLab and prevent any bottlenecks in case we want to add/update a
logo.

I have proposed a merge-request[1] updating the logo URLs in the
Osinfo data we ship, and FreeDOS is the latest logo addition[2].
Thanks to Jim Hall for granting us permission to use their logo.

Out of curiosity, is there a documented way for third-party packages
to provide their own logo and/or OS details? or is it a design choice
of libosinfo to have only central databases?

Cheers,
Felipe Borges.

[0] https://gitlab.gnome.org/GNOME/gnome-boxes-logos
[1] https://gitlab.gnome.org/GNOME/gnome-boxes/merge_requests/23