Re: installing GuixSD

On Thu, Aug 16, 2018 at 12:34 PM Catonano <catonano gmail com> wrote:

Il giorno gio 16 ago 2018 alle ore 11:48 Felipe Borges
<felipeborges gnome org> ha scritto:

Hi!

On Thu, Aug 16, 2018 at 11:18 AM Catonano via gnome-boxes-list
<gnome-boxes-list gnome org> wrote:

I'm attempting in installing GuixSD in a vm with Gnome Boxes on Fedora 28

Because the installation process for GuixSD is a bit convoluted, I
switched off the vm after creating the partitons

Then, the vm couldn't find a bootable device anymore

But from the "devices and shares" tab, I see that the GuixSD
installation image is still available as a "cd-rom"

as you can see here
https://imgur.com/a/YCvP4iJ

Can I instruct the vm to boot from the cd rom in any way ?

Boxes doesn't offer an UI for that, but we share the same
virtualization backend of virt-manager. Therefore you can open
virt-manager and see your Boxes VMs there. By going to the VM details
and "Boot Options" you can setup what you need.

Let us know if you managed to workaround your issue.

Regards,
Felipe.

Thank you Felipe !

I had troubles with virt-manager in the past so I gave up on it

Now I followed your suggestion and tried it again

I couldn't find the machine made with Boxes, as you can see here
(Boxes on the background and virt-manager on the foreground)
https://imgur.com/a/wJantAx

Ah, I forgot to inform you that Boxes has its VMs in qemu/kvm user
session. So you'd need to add this connection to virt-manager.

File -> Add connection -> Select "QEMU/KVM user section" in the
hypervisor combo box.

This way you can view your Boxes VMs in virt-manager.

BUT I attempted to create a brand new vm with virt-manager from
scratch and it seems to work !

It didn't work in the past !

So I think I can go along with virt-manager now

Thanks !