RE: gnome-boxes-3.16.2 - "Libvirt KVM guest available: no"

After compiling gnome-boxes-3.16.2 from source, I am unable to get
it to work.

Using "gnome-boxes --checks", the first problem is:

Boxes storage pool available: No

I can fix this with:

$ mkdir -p ~/.local/libvirt/images $ virsh pool-define-as
gnome-boxes dir - - - - ~/.local/libvirt/images

..but shouldn't gnome-boxes take care of this automatically?

I am unable to solve the next problem:

. Libvirt KVM guest available: no

I would try loading the kvm_intel module by hand (or the equivalent
AMD module),
if this fails dmesg has more details. Usually this has to be enabled
in the BIOS of your box before you can use it.

Thanks for the reply.

I did load the kvm-intel kernel module manually and confirmed that it
was loaded and working prior to testing gnome-boxes using:

qemu-system-x86_64 -enable-kvm -blah-blah

I would check with lsmod |grep kvm (you need both kvm and kvm-intel
 in there), I don't know if -enable-kvm falls back to software emulation
when kvm is not present or errors out.

qemu-system-x86_64 -enable-kvm -blah-blah

..fails with an error message when the kvm and kvm-intel modules are not
loaded

$ sudo modprobe kvm-intel
$ lsmod | grep kvm
kvm_intel          131072  0
kvm                   221184  1 kvm_intel

 ..and the qemu vm is significantly faster when using "-enable-kvm"

How does gnome-boxes detect the kvm modules? Is there a way to get debug
output?

Regards
John