RE: gnome-boxes-3.16.2 does not echo/execute console commands

Using gnome-boxes-3.16.2 with qemu-2.4.1

If I start an iso that boots to the console command prompt, boxes does
not echo/execute any commands entered.

If I enter a command (blind) and then use the "<" button at the top
left of the boxes window to go to the thumbnail vm screen, select the
same vm and go back to it, then the console command has been echoed and executed.

If I enter "startx" in the console screen and switch to the thumbnail
view and back again to get a gui, then commands and mouse clicks work
as expected.

Any idea as to why console commands are not echoed/executed?

All I can guess is that somehow your SPICE display is not getting updated
and only updates to latest frame on first connection. Random guess to the cause:
You didn't compile Qemu and/or spice with the right parameters
(check how Fedora's package configures it). I'm not sure that it's likely
but to be sure I'd also check the firewall rules.

I checked Fedora and about the only thing I could see was that qemu was not compiled against vte (which is a
pain as qemu wants vte-2.90 and gnome-terminal wants vte-2.91).

Anyway, compiling qemu against vte does not change anything.

Note that when using qemu directly, console input is echoed/executed as expected, the issue only appears when
using gnome-boxes to start the same iso (CorePure64-7.0.iso) via qemu.

Regards
John