Re: Status for the release

On Tue, 2012-08-28 at 14:43 +0200, Marc-André Lureau wrote:

> > There are some issues with the scaling of the VM display. The long term
> > goal is that any boxes-installed vm should have the right guest drivers
> > to allow guest resize in a way that the guest always have the same
> > resolution as the boxes window. This doesn't seem to work quite
> > right at the moment (at least with a rawhide guest). It resizes when i
> > resize the window, but to a somewhat smaller resolution, and then
> > scaling it up a bit, making things slightly fuzzy.
> >
> > Even worse is when the guest does *not* have the right drivers/guest to
> > allow resizing. Then it essentially picks a random resolution (whatever
> > the window size is when the vm boots or installs or something) and then
> > we always stretch the display. This makes it impossible to resize the
> > window to get 1:1 pixel size, or even just the right aspect ratio. IMHO
> > we should *never* magnify the VM output, only ever scale it down if it
> > doesn't fit the current window (as scrolling a VM is a total pain).
> >

> This is less important issue, imho. If we get Christophe Windows
> driver installation, and update qxl & agent in f18 (which I think is
> planned very soon), then this will be less of a concern, since it's
> only an issue during installation or switching to console for example.

Thats not true, I got no guest agent in Ubuntu or linux Mint, so it will
happen. Furthermore, the bug above makes it fuzzy even in the
guest-agent case.

> > * Sometimes my boxes freeze or get into some weird state where I can't
> >   do anything with them. In this case I would like to just force a
> >   reboot or a power off, but there is nowhere in boxes where I can
> >   currently do this. Instead I have to start virt-manager in order to
> >   get control back over my vm.
>
> In general, the force shutdown menu is enough.

I agree that a force shutdown should be enough, as reboot is just
shutdown + restart. However, I don't think the app menu is the right
place for this at all. Thats where app-wide operations are supposed to
be, not context sensitive ones.