Re: GNOME.conf.au stuff

On Tue, 2003-11-25 at 21:17, Jeff Waugh wrote:
> Thanks for joining, we now have about 25 people on the list, which is really
> very cool. It was only announced to gnome-announce-list, marketing-list,
> linux-aus and slug (and perhaps forwarded to other user groups). Rocking!

Maybe bugging developer magazines could work, even mainstream press?
They seem to be into OSS things atm. Both Con Z and Tridge were in the
Next section of The Age today!

> So, some details on GNOME.conf.au so far... It's being held on both days
> before the conference, and at the moment I'm planning on one day for talks,
> one day for general hacking and stuff. The presentation stuff may expand to
> a day and a half though, not sure. But we have time. ;-) Here's what's orged
> so far (no times or anything):
>
>   Intro - Probably me wearing a dress or something like that.

no pants, right?

>   James Henstridge - Not sure yet, almost certainly something to do with
>     Python, GNOME, libglade, those kinds of things. Perhaps he'll do a tute,
>     I haven't nagged him enough yet.

maybe a hack-item could be a glade-python integration gui (i.e. rip off
glade and anjuta or something). i.e. come out of the conf with a
better-than-VB3 product.
The last decent version of visual basic was 3.0 (IMHO) nice, simple and
easy to learn and use. last time i used VB (6 or something?) it took me
1/2 hour to add a button :(

>   Jeff Waugh - Dunno yet, I might just hand wave and do the intro or
>     something.

maybe some notes on general direction, how the releases/management stuff
has gone, ui related things?

>   Dinner - Should we have a GNOME.conf.au dinner on the first night? It will
>     be hard for me to figure out a location remotely, but the linux.conf.au
>     dudes will be able to help with that.

isn't th pub more appropriate for FOSS? :)

>   Hacktime - Mostly unstructured hacking time, loosely planned for the
>     second day. As long as the room is there, people can come along and
>     chatter and hack on things. I've found that time out from talks is
>     really worthwhile at GUADEC... 'Hothouse' hacking time (might be good
>     to invite kernel hackers to discuss system-deep things). It also gives
>     GNOME.conf.au people an opportunity to go to the other mini-confs if
>     they want to.

Even a "remember that nice GUI apps still need decent data structures
and algorithms to scale and perform well" session could be interesting -
or a useful reminder for those people who don't try their apps with
10,000 times more data than intended :)