Re: Customization of Gnome Fund Contribution to Country levels

In order for lower donations to work, we need to set up legal entities
in different regions to accept the donations without losing too much
from transfer fees, shipping of swag and other issues we run into
because the GNOME Foundation is incorporated in the US.  For instance
I had to pay peoples travel and then get reimbursed for the PyGObject
hackfest because it would cost almost as much to transfer that money
to individuals in Europe.  GUADEC gets around this because they set up
a European entity to legally handle European transactions and then
transfers happen in lump sums instead of multiple smaller
transactions.  In any case this has to happen at the regional level by
dedicated individuals such as how the Beijing Group does it.  The
GNOME Foundation can guide those groups and offer assistance.  As long
as the groups are actively promoting GNOME that money should stay in
the region to continually grow GNOME.