ANNOUNCE: Cheese 2.91.2 released

there it is! the long expected awesome cheese release. we finally
managed to get rid of gconf and put some nice new shiny gnome 3 stuff
instead. we hope you have fun with it!

daniel

what is it?
===========
Take photos and videos with your webcam, with fun graphical effects

what's changed in 2.91.2?
=========================
  - port cheese to gsettings
    this commit drops gconf entirely from cheese and uses
    gsettings. glib and gio dependency was bumped to 2.26.0
  - Increased upper bound for number of photos taken in burst mode and time
    interval between photos taken in burst mode
  - Removed mx dependency. Bumped minimum clutter version to 1.4.0
  - test-widget: Using gtk_clutter_init
    The test cheese-test-widget was using gtk_init instead of
    gtk_clutter_init, displaying the error "Unable to create a new stage".
  - widget: Using ClutterTexture instead of DrawingArea
    The method cheese_camera_new expects a ClutterTexture, but the widget
    was trying to use a GtkDrawingArea. It now has a GtkClutterEmbed widget
    that contains a ClutterTexture that will be used by cheese_camera_new.
  - camera: emit video-saved signal by name in gst threads
    Static camera_signals array is not initizialized in the gstreamer thread
    so we get a critical assertion failed (signal_id > 0) if we emit by id.
    This should workaround the issue #620637
  - Mapped the Escape key to either stop a current action or to take you out of
    the effects selector or fullscreen
  - main: properly start GtkClutter to avoid a runtime warning
    Initializing GtkClutter instead of gtk and clutter separately
    prevents this:
    ClutterGLX-CRITICAL **: Unable to make the stage window 0x4600035 the current GLX drawable
  - Fixed bug where you can start multiple countdowns in photo mode that
    run together and mess up the counter
  - json: fix a boolean property defined as a string
    Fixes a g_value_copy incompatible types critical warning at runtime
  - configure: Use cheese instead of Cheese
    This way the .ui files are installed in /usr/shared/cheese
    as expected, instead of /usr/shared/Cheese, fixes bug #626697
  - check if vala is available, fail if not, partially fixes #626697
  - bump vala requirement to 0.9.2 and use the new syntax for gtk stock items
    in vala 0.10
  - add identity effect manually at the first position of the effect list
  - remove --verbose command line flag, log handler and bugreport script
    as most of the debug output is done with GST_* or with
    debug() and message(), the log file is useless and therefore
    the bugreport script which is collection that file too.
  - show the version with the -v/--version command line flag
  - check if device uri is null, before setting up the camera with it
  - add a command line option to specify camera file, fixes bug #614778
    the -d or --device option was added to specify a different
    device file. if the device file does not exist, or is not a
    valid v4l/v4l2 device it will be silently ignored
  - bump libcanberra version requirement to 0.23
  - play a sound when taking a photo
    this was somehow not added when we did the vala port, now
    everybody can enjoy that lovely shutter sound
  - parse our custom gtkrc file to hide the thumbview arrows
  - Killed several memory leaks
  - Fixed some runtime warnings
  - Camera related actions are now disabled until the pipeline is playing
  - Show error dialogs when any of the file operations fail
  - Made app crash early if the GTKBUilder UI files are not found
  - get rid of eog thumbnail
    removed eog thumbnail and added cheese thumbnail, which
    uses the best things from nautilus and eog.
  - Display 'No effects found' message if no effects were found.
  - Removed most unneccessary warnings when compiling src/*
    Warnings that remain point to real problems that should be handled
  - Errors in effect files no longer fatal
  - Partially removed warnings that appeared during effect switching
  - use the correct protocol in licence dialog, fixes bug #610207
    as the original text of the link began with <http://...
    this was seen as the protocol, however the protocol is just
    http://
  - Split UI setup into UI Setup and camera setup. Shows Window as soon
    as UI is setup.
    Slightly faster time-to-window-visible
  - ignore effects, if they are already loaded
    if an effect is already loaded, cheese ignores the effect
    and does not add it to the ui. this is done by comparing the
    gstreamer pipeline
  - load effects from ~/.local/share/gnome-video-effects/
    xdg user_data_dir defaults to ~/.local/share/gnome-video-effects,
    so we are looking into that place for user effects
  - Effect preview elements are now constructed on-demand, rather than
    at startup.
  - remove the effect files from cheese from now on and add gnome-video-effects
    as a dependency. effects are brought to the users home by the package
    gnome-video-effects (http://git.gnome.org/browse/gnome-video-effects).
    this way, many applications, like Pitivi or Empathy are able to use the
    same effects as we do. however, we will not depend on it, as it is an
    optional package and not needed to run.

    cheese looks for a directory named gnome-video-effects in one of the system
    share directories proposed by XDG (mostly /usr/share/ or /usr/local/share/).

    it also looks if the user has a directory named ~/.gnome-video-effects. we
    probably should change that and use the XDG standard for user shared files,
    which is ~/.local/share/
  - Removed a few unnecessary camera start/stops during startup
  - Do not create a device if gst initializazion fails
    Currently we create a device with empty caps if the probing pipeline
    cannot be started. That's wrong, the device evidendtly doesn't work so
    the CheeseCameraDevice object for doesn't have to be created. Fixes bug #618203
  - Added/Updated Translations
    - ar, courtesy of Khaled Hosny
    - bg, courtesy of Krasimir Chonov
    - ca, courtesy of Gil Forcada
    - ca valencia, courtesy of Gil Forcada
    - cs, courtesy of Marek Černocký
    - da, courtesy of Anders Jenbo
    - de, courtesy of Mario Blättermann
    - el, courtesy of Michael Kotsarinis
    - en_GB, courtesy of Philip Withnall
    - es, courtesy of Jorge González
    - et, courtesy of Ivar Smolin
    - eu, courtesy of Iñaki Larrañaga Murgoitio
    - fr, courtesy of Pablo Martin-Gomez
    - gl, courtesy of Fran Diéguez
    - he, courtesy of Yaron Shahrabani
    - hi, courtesy of Rajesh Ranjan
    - hu, courtesy of Gabor Kelemen
    - id, courtesy of Dirgita
    - it, courtesy of Alessandro Falappa
    - ja, courtesy of Takayuki KUSANO
    - kk, courtesy of Baurzhan Muftakhidinov
    - kn, courtesy of Shankar Prasad
    - lt, courtesy of Rimas Kudelis
    - nb, courtesy of Kjartan Maraas
    - nl, courtesy of Reinout van Schouwen
    - nn, courtesy of Torstein Adolf Winterseth
    - or, courtesy of Manoj Kumar Giri
    - pa, courtesy of A S Alam
    - pl, courtesy of Tomasz Dominikowski
    - pt, courtesy of Duarte Loreto
    - ro, courtesy of Lucian Adrian Grijincu
    - ru, courtesy of Yuri Myasoedov
    - sk, courtesy of Miroslav Biňas
    - sl, courtesy of Matej Urbančič
    - sr, courtesy of Милош Поповић
    - sr latin, courtesy of Miloš Popović
    - sv, courtesy of Daniel Nylander
    - ta, courtesy of Dr.T.Vasudevan
    - te, courtesy of Krishna Babu K
    - th, courtesy of Akom Chotiphantawanon
    - ug, courtesy of Sahran
    - zh_CN, courtesy of Aron Xu
    - zh_HK, courtesy of Chao-Hsiung Liao
    - zh_TW, courtesy of Chao-Hsiung Liao
  - Added/Updated Documentation
    - cs, courtesy of Lucas Lommer
    - zh_CN, courtesy of YunQiang Su

where can i get it?
===================
you can get it by pressing here!
http://download.gnome.org/sources/cheese/2.91/

what does it look like?
take a look here!
http://projects.gnome.org/cheese/tour

where can i find out more?
you can visit the project web site:
http://projects.gnome.org/cheese/

--
this mail was sent using 100% recycled electrons
daniel g. siegel <dgsiegel gnome org>