ANNOUNCE: Cheese 2.29.5 released

what is it?
===========
Take photos and videos with your webcam, with fun graphical effects

what's changed in 2.29.5?
=========================

  A slightly different format for these release notes.
  We missed a couple of releases in the 2.29 cycle and the big changes
  cheese went through meanwhile deserves something better than a cold
  list of commit messages.
  Big thanks go to Bastien Nocera who took up most longstanding items
  in our TODO list and implemented them right away.
  So let's see what happened since 2.28. Note that most of the following
  stuff is still a work in progress so don't expect everything listed to
  be completed.

  * Completely dropped HAL dependency
    Port most HAL code for v4l capability probing into udev and use
    gudev in cheese to take advantage of it.
    Add infrastructure (CheeseCameraDeviceMonitor) for dynamic
    device hotplugging (UI yet to come).
    Add optional udev dependency and provide a simple entry point
    for non linux platforms that will want to use their custom
    detection code (still waiting for patches).

  * First steps in splitting cheese code into two libraries
    - libcheese-common
      Will provide basic non UI related cheese functions: basically,
      device detection, device monitoring, video format handling.
    - libcheese-gtk
      A set of widgets that will allow third party application to
      include parts of cheese functionality (e.g. the avatar chooser
      will soon embed a viewfinder for quickly shooting a nice
      buddy icon). Ideally cheese will be soon based on this set of
      widgets being the first user of our own library.

  * Rework most of device capability handling code
    Rewrite caps detection code trying to use gstreamer api instead of
    our own custom stuff whenever possible.
    Remove framerate retrieving code since we didn't use it since a
    couple of releases.

  * Make startup slightly faster
    Probe device capabilities in PAUSED state instead of PLAYING.
    This was actually a workaround for a now fixed gstreamer bug (See
    #587082).
    Just a two line change but cheese is notably faster now!

  * Cosmetic changes
    Remove all the fake webcam code and use a still error image when
    no webcam is available.
    Drop EphySpinner in favor of the new GtkSpinner. Invert colors to
    make it sexier.
    Remove actions (SendTo stuff) from the contextual menu. It wasn't
    exactly the best way to interoperate with the desktop. And most of
    them worked suboptimally anyway.

  * Move to GST_DEBUG (first steps, probably needs work)
    We use gstreamer anyway, why not to take full advantage of it?
    Gstreamer debug infrastructure is really cool and surely a lot
    better than our previous g_prints.

  * Fixed bugs
    #598902 — Make flash window a popup
    #594966 — Drop HAL
    #603595 — Add a photo-taken signal, which passes a pixbuf
    #522199 — First pass at webcam widget for use in other applications
    #598445 — Use GtkSpinner instead of our own
    #603152 — Use libcanberra instead of GStreamer for shutter
    #603161 — Make CheeseGConf a singleton object
    #603162 — Make CheeseFileUtil a singleton
    #603167 — Avoid warnings on exit when playback hasn't started
    #595005 — Use a custom filename to group burst mode pictures
    #596535 — String fixes

  * Added/Updated Translations
    - en_GB, courtesy of Philip Withnall
    - en shaw, courtesy of Thomas Thurman
    - es, courtesy of Jorge González
    - et, courtesy of Ivar Smolin
    - gl, courtesy of a
    - he, courtesy of Yaron Shahrabani
    - lt, courtesy of Gintautas Miliauskas
    - lv, courtesy of Rūdolfs Mazurs
    - nb, courtesy of Kjartan Maraas
    - nds, courtesy of Nils-Christoph Fiedler
    - pa, courtesy of A S Alam
    - ru, courtesy of Alexandre Prokoudine
    - sl, courtesy of Matej Urbančič
    - sv, courtesy of Daniel Nylander