ANN: Pan 0.11.0.90 "Tiddely pom" Released
- From: Charles Kerr <charles rebelbase com>
- To: pan-users rebelbase com, gnome-announce-list gnome org, Takuo Kitame <kitame northeye org>, "Chris D. Faulhaber" <jedgar FreeBSD org>
- Subject: ANN: Pan 0.11.0.90 "Tiddely pom" Released
- Date: Thu, 15 Nov 2001 07:13:05 -0800
Pan 0.11.0.90, "Tiddely pom", has been released.
It can be found at http://pan.rebelbase.com/.
What is Pan?
Pan is a newsreader, loosely based on Agent and Gravity, which
attempts to be pleasant to use for new and advanced users alike.
It has all the typical features found in newsreaders and also
supports offline newsreading, article filtering, multiple connections,
and a number of extra features for power users and alt.binaries fans.
It's also the only Unix newsreader to get a perfect score on the
Good Net-Keeping Seal of Approval evaluations. See
http://pan.rebelbase.com/features.html for the rest of the
This release has a new filter "Threads I've Posted In" and some minor
user interface improvements. However most of the work has gone
into bugfixes as we try to move from "sexy, new 0.11.0 release" to
"stable, boring 0.11.x release".
A revision number of >= 90 is used to flag this release as a beta
without confusing RPM with a name like "0.10.0-pre1".
What's New in 0.11.0.90
* Added new builtin filter: "Articles/Threads posted by Me"
* When multiple articles are selected and the enter key is pressed,
in addition to downloading and displaying the first article, the
remaining selected articles are now also downloaded. Thanks to
Cory Dodt for suggesting this.
* Added "Filter by Message-ID" to the header pane toolbar filter.
* Better at guessing a default news server for news users.
* Better data recovery in the case of a Pan or system crash.
* Slightly faster threading of articles.
* Fixed crash that occurred when repeatedly loading the same group.
* Better conformance to RFC977 2.4.1. This bug caused some binary
attachments to be decoded improperly in 0.11.0. Thanks to
Thomas K. Gamble for reporting
* If saving attachments to disk because a directory isn't writable
then give a warning in the Pan log and fail the task so that the
user can fix the problem. Thanks to Sebastien Leclair for
reporting this bug.
* Build fixes for the Compaq C compiler on Linux Alpha. Thanks to
Alan Young for reporting these problems and submitting a patch.
* The Article cache was growing past the user-defined limit in
0.11.0. Thanks to Muralito and Alan Young for reporting this bug.
* Fixed rare crash-on-exit bug that occurred when one thread was
shutting down the Pan app log while another thread was trying to
log a shutdown message. :) Thanks to Jed Baer for reporting this
* Now handles watching/ignoring a thread even if the article
selected when 'watch' button is pressed has a broken References:
header. (Shame on you Forte Agent 1.8! :) Thanks to David Watson
for reporting this bug.
* Fixed rare gui lockup bug when loading new articles for the group
that's currently loaded.
* "Flag Thread" and "Unflag Thread" didn't flag the entire thread
as they should have. Thanks to Peter Borgmann for reporting this
* Fixed bug that caused groups to be threaded more often than
* Fixed bug that didn't remember the "Thread/Unthread Header Pane"
setting between sessions and required the button to be pressed
twice before it would work. Thanks to Jed Baer for reporting
* Fixed small compile problem reported by Gabi Davar and
* Fixed bug that incorrectly saved the pane dimensions for the
"three vertically stacked panes" layout mode. Thanks to
Douglas Bollinger and Erik W. Hanson for reporting this bug.
* Memory leaks fixed.
] [Thread Prev