Re: More info on ATK interfaces

Hello,

On 09/26/2017 01:10 PM, Joanmarie Diggs wrote:
There's no way to force Orca to do that from your end. Tell me why I
should change Orca to do what you want? I might be persuaded, or you
might be doing something less than ideal. Without more information, I
don't know which it is.

--joanie

I work on SWT which is based on GTK3 on the Linux side. We have implemented a custom GTK container called SwtFixed. It lets us do sizing manipulation and some other things, but most importantly every SWT widget (native or not) has one as its parent.

In SWT we mostly use native GTK widgets, but we also have emulated widgets. These are widgets that fill a niche which GTK cannot provide, and are manually drawn at the Java level onto an SwtFixed instance. From the GTK/ATK/OS perspective, these widgets only exist as SwtFixed containers.

The use case we have is that these emulated widgets can sometimes have children which are purely drawn. For example CTabFolder is a GtkNotebook-like widget, and each tab is a "child" of the parent CTabFolder. However these children do not have their own SwtFixed instances, they are just Java objects which are drawn onto the parent CTabFolder's SwtFixed instance.

I've created a custom ATK implementation for SwtFixed containers, which override the necessary interfaces and communicate with Java to get all the information to Orca. It would be useful if we could somehow connect these children of emulated widgets with that implementation.

Eric