Re: Is there an ATK dev who can answer noob questions?

On 26/07/17 00:56, Bill Cox via gnome-accessibility-list wrote:
There is a small effort of part-time a11y contributers within Google
and Opera who would like to hook up Chromium to ATK so it can work
with Orca.  Between us, I think we have no experience with ATK.  Is
there anyone who would be available to answer our noob questions?

Here's my first one: This function
<https://cs.chromium.org/chromium/src/ui/accessibility/platform/atk_util_auralinux.cc?l=139&gs=cpp%253Aatk_util_auralinux_class_init%28_AtkUtilAuraLinuxClass%2B*%29%2540chromium%252F..%252F..%252Fui%252Faccessibility%252Fplatform%252Fatk_util_auralinux.cc%257Cdef&gsn=atk_util_auralinux_class_init&ct=xref_usages>
has this line:

atk_class->get_root = atk_util_auralinux_get_root;

However, atk_util_auralinux_get_root is never called,

Skimming the code it seems ok (or at least equivalent to what gkt[1] and
clutter[2]) does.

while some other atk_class functions, like get_toolkit_name, are
called.  At the moment, in Debian Stretch running Cinnamon, I see the
application "chrome" registered, but it has no children.  IIUC, the
chromium code used to present more than this.  Is atk_get_root
supposed to be called to get access to the accessible objects within
the application?

As soon as an application is registered on the at-spi2 registry through
at-spi2-atk, one of the first methods it calls is get_root. I assume
that you called atk_bridget_adaptor_init [3] to get your application
registered, right?

In any case, as you are saying, it is strange that get_toolkit_name is
being called but get_root is not. So, for completeness, could you check
who is calling get_toolkit_name?

Any help figuring out what we mucked up would be appreciated.  Just as
an added incentive, if you help now, I'll punish you with lots more
noob questions in the future :)

Thanks,
Bill