Re: Multiply disabled -- universal access -- speech impairment -- kmouth

=====
Of_Interest: With Thirty years  of service  to the  Unix  community.

On Sun, Oct 09, 2016 at 03:57:21PM -0400, Nlomrb Gmail wrote:
Dear mailing list, especially Jeremy and Gary,

I told the SLP, that I will see on October 19, that I would try to get espeak and kmouth under a Linux
platform.  She is very eager to see them running.

I realized (before the promise) that I have access to a Cygwin window and could download the sources.

I am close to getting espeak running and will soon start on kmouth.

I think I may need to compile from source, OR will some one of the pre compiled downloads work?

Depending on the outcome of the meeting with the SLP, my husband and I may be buying a GNU/Linux laptop and
installing GNOME 3 if it is not already there.  I need several of the accessibility features plus kmouth.

Does anyone know of a distribution which makes the above paragraph possible?  Convenient?

I have a technical background, but in engineering, not computer science.  I do not know C, for example.

Rose

        Hmm.  My system addmin flew in from Dallas late last April; I left
        him alone so as to Stay Out of His Way while he upgraded my 4
        Dell's and one Hp to all Ubuntu Linux.  (Turned out that his wife
        was to be induced on Tuesday so he may have been pre-occupied.)
        The short of it was that the 4th box linked by mt Belkin SOHO KVM
        is broken.  [[ 4th button ]] and my 2009 Dell abruptly *quit* in
        July.

        Oh:  Newegg had a Lenovo on sale for around $260;  I bought that
        and my sysadmin put on Ubuntu.  It is a bit slow, but has a builtin
        camera.  my first.  Once booted, everything works flawlessly.  You
        might want to go this route.  Else choose the best deal you can
        find.  I'm an agnostic when it comes to hardware.

        I've found that most distributions of Linux are "good" but that
        since Ubuntu is from the UK, there are fewer copyright
        restrictions.  (Also, being severely OLD now I never was into
        cracking <<whatever>>.  I'm happy to be-happy with what Ubuntu
        has and/or I can google up. )

        Iwould buy a laptop and overwrite the Win//Dos with a CD that has
        enough of Gnome or KDE or [you choose].   Then (usually on the
        left), right-mouse-click on the SoftwareUpdater.  It should
        auto-install whatever you select.  I taught myself C back in the
        late 1970's so I installed the cc and c++ and many other
        languages.  --Mostly, I rely on what is already available.   For
        the most part, it won't make any difference whether you use the
        pre-compiled version or compile yourself.  Be aware that you may
        run into trouble if you are missing something that requires some
        library if you try to built it yourself.

        Anybody else on this list see something misleading?

        gary