Re: Orca speech rate and other Gnome settings

Hi Christophe!

answers between the lines

2013/1/11 Christophe Strobbe <strobbe hdm-stuttgart de>:
> Hi,
>
> The speech rate for Orca has values from 0 to 100. Can anyone tell me
> whether this is a linear range (i.e. 100 would be twice as fast as 50) and
> how these values map to words per minute?

Although the speech rate is managed by Orca, AFAIK, the speech rate
value is related to the specific speech engine.
So in case you're using espeak, the speech rate is mapped with words
per minute as is described here:
http://espeak.sourceforge.net/speak_lib.h
There, you can see the following line:
      espeakRATE:    speaking speed in word per minute

> I found that my Ubuntu 12.04 installation stores Orca settings at
> ~/.local/share/orca/user-settings.config, but I would also like to find
> out:
> * where the magnifier settings are stored, and

The magnifier settings are managed by GSettings, and you can see all
the available settings described in the
"org.gnome.desktop.a11y.magnifier" gsettings schema.

> * where the settings for the background colour are stored.
>
> Apparently, the theme information in
> ~/.gconf/desktop/gnome/shell/windows/%gconf.xml uses the same string for
> High Contrast and for High Contrast Inverse, i.e.
> <entry name="theme" mtime="1357734678" type="string">
>   <stringvalue>Adwaita</stringvalue>
> </entry>
> That's why I am trying to find out where background colour is stored.

In the "org.gnome.desktop.background" gsettings schema you can find
background-related settings but I'm not sure if these settings suits
your needs or if you'll need to make some modifications on the Adwaita
(or whatever theme is used) theme description. So ping me back if you
need more help on this.

> Any help would be greatly appreciated.
>
> Best regards,
>
> Christophe

Hope you'll find this information useful.

Best regards,
Javi