Re: GNOME Shell magnifier and Keybindings

Hello, Joseph, and thanks for your reply.

I am sorry for my delayed response.

Doing something like SHIFT+Scroll Up to Zoom In and SHIFT+Scroll Down to Zoom Out would be a great idea, if possible. I have seen magnification software which only makes use of the scroll wheel for zooming, but this makes it difficult (and sometimes impossible) to scroll when reading documents because the zoom function would be invoked in the magnification software. Even CTRL+Scroll Up/Down could cause conflicts, as some applications (such as Firefox and Evince) use the CTRL+Scroll Up/Down combination for their own zoom features. I personally do not use the built-in zooming features in applications such as Firefox or Evince; it is much easier and it is much more efficient for me to just use magnification and pan around the application when reading or when doing work.

As far as keyboard shortcuts for the magnifier go, I had originally set mine as follows:

1. Start/Stop the magnifier: CTRL+ALT+M (There do not seem to be any conflicts with this one)
2. Zoom In: ALT+Up Arrow
3. Zoom Out: ALT+Down Arrow

The keyboard shortcuts for zooming in and for zooming out conflicted with a predefined set of shortcuts which are used to change the search engine in the Firefox search bar, so I changed them to the following:

1. Zoom In: ALT+= ('=' on the number row)
2. Zoom Out: ALT+- ('-' on the number row)

These do not seem to cause any conflicts.

Thanks again for your response, Joseph. I hope you are having an excellent day (or evening, depending on where you are located).

Take care.