Re: Ang: AT for LD

Hey Mats, all.

On Mon, 2012-01-09 at 01:33 +0100, Mats Lundälv wrote:

[...]

> I was discussing this with Joanmarie some time ago,
> and she was very positive to take a look at it.

If you mean things like:

* Only speak displayed text and NOT context (roles, states, etc.)
* Sentence keyboard echo (you type a sentence, Orca speaks it)
* Read the object under the mouse

These things were all added prior to 8/18/2010 (because that is the date
in which I told you via the oats-sig list that these things were in
place).

Having said that.... Orca is a screen reader; Orca is not a tool
designed for users who are not visually impaired. Trying to make Orca
into a one-size-fits-all tool will inevitably turn it into a tool whose
functionality is either too complex or too diluted, meeting no one's
needs. :( Thus Orca will continue to focus on providing the best support
possible to users who are blind or have a significant visual impairment.
Someone(s) else should work towards addressing the needs of the user
populations being discussed in this thread. And in the end, hopefully
we'll have compelling, distinct solutions for each group.

Take care.
--joanie