Ang: Re: Pictogram support (Montreal Summit)

Hi Peter, Cesar and all,

As Peter points out, and as I mentioned in my post in the gnome-accessibility list, the 'font track' for graphic symbols is a route to wider compatibility with existing protocols and formats. That's why we ended up transferring the symbol graphics to fonts, to allow symbol display, aligned with text/words, within OO/LO Writer (ODF/ODT), using the existing (but limited) support for Ruby Annotation  in there (only allowing 'plain text' within the annotation text).

The drawback with fonts is the lacking (as far as we have found) support for colour in fonts. This is no problem for Blissymbols, but for most other pictographic symbol libraries the colour is essential for most users.
So support for graphics is still a very relevant question.

And what about support for Ruby Annotation in existing protocols for IM - will that be found anywhere?

So on the wish list: An IM protocol with full support for Ruby Annotation - including graphics as part of the text - also in the annotation. But until then what?

Mats

-----Peter Korn <peter korn oracle com> skrev: -----

Hi Cesar,

Helping people with language and cognitive disabilities communicate with each other and with folks who don't have those disabilities is one of the tasks under the AEGIS project [http://www.aegis-project.eu].  In particular, AEGIS partners SU-DART and FPD in Sweden (staff of whom are cc-ed: Mats, Lars, Bengt, and Annika) are doing that work.

To that end, they are building fonts out of the CCF symbol sets that they developed for helping folks in Sweden with language and communication impairments.  Initially these fonts would be used as part of a text editor - displaying symbols alongside the English/Swedish/Spanish/... words representing the same concepts (to be done as a plug-in to OpenOffice.org / LibreOffice).  But the intention is that they could be used for direct communication - with any communication application that supported multi-byte characters.

I'll let Mats/Lars/Bengt/Annika describe this in further detail.

Regards,

Peter